Throughout human history, strong families provided the bedrock for transmitting sound cultural values. There is a wealth of evidence attesting to the benefits of the married, two-parent family: more wealth, improved overall health and happiness, longer life expectancy, greater sexual satisfaction, and children who grow up to be more successful, emotionally stable, and optimistic.
The past half-century, however, has seen a steady decline in couples getting married, a persistently high divorce rate and increasing numbers of children growing up in fatherless households. One in three children in the U.S. are being raised in single-parent families or shuttled back and forth between the homes of their divorced parents.
|Couples' Training w/ Bento Leal|
Increasing numbers of children suffer abuse, violence and poverty due to chaotic relationships between their parents. The Relationship Institute at UTS, established in 2010, seeks to equip religious and community leaders with the information they need to speak out on behalf of strengthening marriage, and to implement effective programs that help couples to achieve and sustain healthy marriages.
The Relationship Institute is a place to learn about cutting-edge strategies to building intimacy in marriage, parenting a troubled teenager, or even selecting a lifelong partner. Courses are both research-based and experiential, incorporating personal reflection, discussion and creative learning.
Trends in Marriage and Family
- Want to Stop Arguing and Change Spouse's Behavior? Start With Mirror
- Millennial Searchers
- From the Streets to the ‘World’s Best Mom’
- Detox your love life
- Things to Do When You’re Thinking about Ending Your Marriage
- Give Monogamy a Chance
- Marrying Out of the Faith
- Marriage, Procreation and Historical Amnesia
- The Stories That Bind Us
- You May Now Kiss the Computer Screen
- NEW STUDY: Family Scholars Issue Call to Churches to Confront Spiritual Impact of Family Breakdown on Children
- There's No Such Thing as Everlasting Love (According to Science)
- America's Baby Bust
- The Boys at the Back
- The Price of a Stolen Childhood
- Sadly, in Redefining Marriage, the UK Mandates Social Decline Into Law
- That Loving Feeling Takes a Lot of Work
- The End of Courtship?
- Children Of Men
- UTS grad opposes redefinition of marriage in UK
- How People Change
- Semper Fi, Honey?
- The Age of Possibility
- When Forgiveness Isn't a Virtue
- The Psych Approach
FAIR USE NOTICE: This webpage contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We make such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of recent trends in faith and culture for the purpose of promoting interfaith understanding.
We understand this constitutes a 'fair use' of such material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.